Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 9ffb6ce 5/5: Quoting fixes in lisp/internationa

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 9ffb6ce 5/5: Quoting fixes in lisp/internationa
Date: Fri, 4 Sep 2015 10:49:47 -0700

On 09/04/2015 09:23 AM, Alan Mackenzie wrote:

Please try adding (setq text-quoting-style 'grave) there.
It works.

Thanks for checking.

I'd prefer to stick to the `text-quoting-style'

Yes, and the intent of the current master is to do both: i.e., if you have (setq text-quoting-style 'grave) in your .emacs, then both (1) unescaped curved quotes are transliterated to ASCII characters in help buffers and strings, and (2) all curved quotes are displayed as shadowed ASCII characters. The shadowing is intended to assist you when you see curved quotes in other contexts, so that you can distinguish curved quotes from true ASCII characters. You should be able to see this by typing

a ` b C-x 8 [ c C-x 8 ] d ' e

which should insert “a`b‘c’d'e” into your buffer, and the curved quotes should be distinguishable from the grave accent and apostrophe because they're shadowed.

I assume this works for you now, with (setq text-quoting-style 'grave) in your .emacs; if not, please let me know.