Re: About the differences among the versions of emacs obtained by differ

From: Michael Heerdegen
Subject: Re: About the differences among the versions of emacs obtained by different git commands.
Date: Sun, 06 Sep 2015 09:36:21 +0200

Hongyi Zhao <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi all,

Hi.

> [...]
> About these commands, I've the following issues:
>
> 1- Are the following two commands equivalent or not:
>
> git clone -b master git://git.sv.gnu.org/emacs.git
> git clone git://git.savannah.gnu.org/emacs.git

-b master ensures that master is unconditionally checked out locally for
you.  Dunno if the HEAD in the emacs repo can ever point to something
else than master.  Anyway, both commands should clone exactly the same
thing onto your harddisk.

> Again, are the following two commands equivalent or not:
>
> git clone git://git.sv.gnu.org/emacs/elpa
> git clone git://git.savannah.gnu.org/emacs/elpa.git

Dunno.

> 2- If I have obtained the source code for emacs master or emacs-24, is
> the elpa code also included in them or not?

AFAIK no, elpa is separate, even the code to (re)build the archive.  But
the Emacs repo contains the code for the package manager (package.el).

HTH,

Michael.