Re: Using different default-directory and relative paths in VC, Was: Re:

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Using different default-directory and relative paths in VC, Was: Re: bug#21383
Date: Tue, 8 Sep 2015 02:29:28 +0300

On 09/08/2015 01:33 AM, Stefan Monnier wrote:

Sorry, I didn't realize you were talking about vc-state.  No I guess
vc-state would have to keep working with absolute file names (tho it
could be extended to also accept relative file names).

It was just an example. Would vc-state keep working with absolute file names, but vc-working-revision start only accepting relative ones?

I'd expect that the caller should be able to easily arrange for each
file in the list to *already* be relative to default-directory, so
there's no need to look for the common parent.

If the relative file names start with "../", the result is pointless: we still risk calling Git from outside of the repository checkout.

If only some of them start with "../", the result may be subtly different, depending on the presence of submodules, I guess, sub-repositories combined with ignore files.