Re: patch against vc-rcs.el: vc-rcs-checkin: allows user login to be add

From: Uwe Brauer
Subject: Re: patch against vc-rcs.el: vc-rcs-checkin: allows user login to be added
Date: Tue, 08 Sep 2015 11:03:09 +0200

   > That's right.

   > At first sight, it seems that

   >                  (log-edit-extract-headers '(("Author" . "-w"))
   >                                            comment))))

After thinking about it, I admit I don't understand this logic.

Git bzr, hg are server/client based with a common repository, in which
case this command makes sense.

But the situation I consider is entirely different. Maybe I have not
explained this well enough.

Suppose I have a latex file under RCS version control:
newpublication.tex

However I collaborate with someone, who does not use RCS, but sends me
his modified version of this document.
I want to check this in into the RCS, but specifying a different author.

But the only way I see to do this, is to have a prompt asking for the
new user.

How otherwise could the RCS system guess the author? the file I checked
in does not provide any information concerning the author whatsoever.

I am puzzled.