RE: char equivalence classes in search - why not symmetric?

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: char equivalence classes in search - why not symmetric?
Date: Tue, 8 Sep 2015 06:39:15 -0700 (PDT)

> > I disagree. When I search for "Müller" I want it to also match
> > "Muller" because some people (e.g., in French speaking countries) use
> > this as an approximation of the spelling.
>
> It's fine that emacs is "different", but common (nano, vi, GUI editors, word
> processors) behaviour is that a search strictly matches the string, and that
> creates expectations. For the Muller case above, as a translator I could see
> myself search for Muller to correct it to Müller and not be happy to have
> all the correct Müllers showing up in the search.

Not a problem, provided we have a toggle like what Juri suggested.
Toggle literal vs char folding.  And ensure that char folding is
symmetric (this thread), and not just one-way as it is now.

I agree with you about the default behavior (literal, not folded).
But of course users need to be able to customize the default
behavior, so they start out with whichever behavior they prefer.

> Let's just put flags that trigger case/diacritic matching, they could be on
> in default emacs, but they should be somewhere.

Yup.