Re: Please stop putting curly quotes into doc strings!

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Please stop putting curly quotes into doc strings!
Date: Wed, 9 Sep 2015 01:23:31 +0300

On 09/08/2015 07:20 PM, raman wrote:
The negative with that is that we'll have inconsistency between say Core
Emacs libraries and code from Elpa.

Exactly.

Paul, maybe you can extract the set of pairs to be translated (or highlighted) to a defvar (not defcustom). By default it will be set to ((?` . ?')), but you would be able to add any kinds of pairs.

The needs of developers who view Ascii quotes as ugly and want to see
something else can be easily served by an elpa package that uses all the
tricks you have proposed in reverse on this thread,

Unfortunately, I don't see an easy way to write an ELPA package that would do that, barring some new changes, like the one mentioned above.

The translation code is written in a non-extensible way, and there's nothing that, say, some new font-lock rules can reuse.