Re: char equivalence classes in search - why not symmetric?

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: char equivalence classes in search - why not symmetric?
Date: Wed, 09 Sep 2015 22:03:16 -0400

   > > Currently the user can either search for "any kind of e" or "only é"
   > > or "only è" or "only ê", etc.

I mean, that the user can do all of these with one character, not
using any toggle command.

   > That would still be the case.
   > The only difference would be that when s?he wants to search for "any
   > kind of e" s?he can use any of the equivalent e-chars.

No, another difference would be that NONE of the other options
is possible with one character -- all would require a toggle command
that people may not remember.  (I don't.)

  > The point is that what you say is true currently would still be the
  > case with what is proposed in this thread.  The user would continue
  > to be able to search for either any kind of e or for only a specific
  > kind of e.

The user would continue to be able to do this _somehow_, but not as
now without using a separate toggle command.

--
Dr Richard Stallman