Re: Please stop putting curly quotes into doc strings!

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: Please stop putting curly quotes into doc strings!
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2015 10:25:59 -0700

On 09/10/2015 08:46 AM, David Kastrup wrote:

> outcommented stuff that would become non-standard when commented back

Thanks, I missed those, since I didn’t look at comments.  Fixed.

> Comments and messages like

Thanks, I missed those message instances, as somebody else introduced those curved quotes and I looked only at the curved quotes I introduced. I changed them to use grave quotes just now.

It’s OK to use curved quotes in English text in comments.

> Well, various text files

It’s OK for English text in text files to use curved quotes. In etc/PROBLEMS, the text is showing an Emacs diagnostic as presented to the user. This normally uses curved quotes nowadays, so curved quotes are preferable there. The other curved quotes you mention also look OK.

> various messages like

Those messages generate info files, which typically use curved quotes nowadays, so curved quotes are appropriate there.

> The English adventure "dunnet"

Please feel free to go through dunnet and change it to use substitute-command-keys or format-message so that it generates grave quotes for dunnet users who prefer that style. I did not think it worth bothering about, myself.