Re: char equivalence classes in search - why not symmetric?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: char equivalence classes in search - why not symmetric?
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2015 09:28:36 -0400

> current situation with case folding, that you can't paste in a search
> string with capital letters and search for it in a case-independent way.

Yes, you can: Use M-c to explicitly choose whether to case-fold or not.

> However, in the case of case folding, we solve that by downcasing
> text when pasting it into search strings.  We could de-accent strings
> too when pasting them.

Actually, the way we downcase it has problems.  E.g. Go to the beginning
of this paragraph (i.e. before "Actually") and do:

   C-s C-w M-c

and you end up searching for an exact (non-case-folded) match of
"actually" rather than "Actually", so it won't even match the "Actually"
from which you got it.

        Stefan