Re: Stupid git!

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: Stupid git!
Date: Sat, 12 Sep 2015 21:51:14 +0000

Hello, Dmitry.

On Sat, Sep 12, 2015 at 11:43:43PM +0300, Dmitry Gutov wrote:
> On 09/12/2015 11:36 PM, Alan Mackenzie wrote:

> > I just did `git pull'.  This didn't merge the upstream changes into
> > my repository.  Instead it put the upstream file change into my working
> > directory, discarding the other contributer's change log.  If I
> > understand correctly, that is.

> What does 'git status' say?

On branch master
Your branch and 'origin/master' have diverged,
and have 1 and 1 different commit each, respectively.
  (use "git pull" to merge the remote branch into yours)
All conflicts fixed but you are still merging.
  (use "git commit" to conclude merge)

Changes to be committed:

        modified:   test/automated/file-notify-tests.el

Changes not staged for commit:
  (use "git add <file>..." to update what will be committed)
  (use "git checkout -- <file>..." to discard changes in working
directory)

        modified:   .gitignore
        modified:   lisp/textmodes/paragraphs.el
        modified:   src/search.c

> > I think the best thing for me to do now is `git checkout <file>' to
> > revert that changed file,

> If you're in the middle of a merge, it's a recipe for disaster.

:-).  OK, but the immediate problem is that _I_ didn't modify
file-notify-tests.el.  Somebody else did, and git put his changes into
my working directory and `git add'ed it.  I don't have the log entry for
this change.  So am I supposed to just commit this, with my own log
entry?

I don't really understand what "you are still merging" is supposed to
mean.  How do I get out of the "merging" state cleanly, without
commiting somebody else's changes?

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).