Re: Dynamic loading progress

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Dynamic loading progress
Date: Sun, 13 Sep 2015 21:58:14 -0400

>>> It's not possible to skip frames in module code using longjmp, so
>> Why not?
> Because most C code isn't expecting to be unwound.
> Forcing non-local flow control on module code is completely
> unacceptable.  Emacs needs to return with an error indication set.

Hmm... I'm still not sure what's the issue.

AFAICT, the only odd case I can think of is the following:

   1- Emacs calls some module code via the new API.
   2- This code (which is Emacs-specific) will know about Fthrow.
   3- It may call some non-Emacs-specific code from some other library.
   4- This non-Emacs-specific code calls back to some Emacs-specific function.
   5- This Emacs-specific function calls Fthrow/Fsignal.

Where the problem only shows if/when we reach point 5.

This problem can be handled between 4 and 5 by using an appropriate
internal_condition_case.

Is there some other situation you're thinking of?

        Stefan