Re: find-file-project

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: find-file-project
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2015 18:05:28 +0300

On 09/16/2015 05:13 PM, Stephen Leake wrote:

And this is ridiculous. Emacs obviously isn't a "flat" project.

I don't know what you mean by "a flat project".

It's not an Ada project.

load-path is neither purely flat (cedet requires recursion) nor purely
recursive (it has both emacs/lisp and emacs/lisp/progmodes etc). So it
has to be converted one way or another.

"emacs/lisp and emacs/lisp/progmodes" is not a good counter-argument.

search-path may have entries where one is a subdirectory of another, but each such entry is "recursive" anyway (we have to consider all files inside each respective tree). When search path used for file traversal, the caller will simply have to filter out the entries that are redundant for its purposes.

And the user has to provide additional information as to what parts are
flat vs recursive, for the conversion to be done properly.

I don't see that. If you need this complexity, just use the "recursive" format (it's more powerful), and specify any exclusions via ignores.

For example, SourceForge CEDET contains the "cogre" directory under
"cedet". Since that is not part of Emacs core yet, if I'm testing
SourceForge Emacs prior to a merge with Emacs core, it is not
appropriate to include "cogre" in the project search path.

Well, ignore it, then.