Re: Intermediate tutorial shipped with Emacs

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: Intermediate tutorial shipped with Emacs
Date: Sat, 19 Sep 2015 17:18:15 +0900

Eli Zaretskii writes:

 > Past discussions more or less concluded that there should be a series
 > of intermediate-level tutorials, each one covering topics in some
 > distinct area.  So the topics you present above, that are unrelated to
 > each other and probably reflect your personal interests (or even some
 > random selection) are probably not the way to go.

+1 to "probably".  I didn't resonate to that list myself, but I can't
really say that "most" new users wouldn't.

 > That's a challenge in itself: how do you give "a taste" of a feature
 > without describing it in full, or close to that.

"Not describing it in full" is pretty much the definition of "a
taste".

I would envision this intermediate tutorial as a series of "HOWTO"
do common tasks.  It would only explain enough of the feature to
implement the HOWTO, and provide links to the manual.

 > > So, I wanted to see if emacs-devel thought this was a good idea,
 > > or a bad idea, or if anyone had any suggestions. I would be happy
 > > to adapt the document I've already written if that makes sense.

I think that's the way to go.  Maybe post it or a link to it on the
EmacsWiki.