Re: RCS: (vc-next-action 1) only New Backend

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: RCS: (vc-next-action 1) only New Backend
Date: Sat, 19 Sep 2015 14:06:37 +0300

> From: David Kastrup <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden,  address@hidden
> Date: Sat, 19 Sep 2015 12:58:01 +0200
>
> Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > (If I knew that removing this "rollback" also removes the ability to
> > force a revision at checkin time, I'd have objected to the removal.
> > But that never came up, AFAIR; instead, the only issue discussed at
> > length was the meaning of "rollback" for modern VCSes.)
>
> I don't think that this commit is really related to the "rollback"
> discussion.

You are right, the commit you've shown is about vc-register, which I
didn't change for the reasons explained in my previous message.

> There actually is
>
> commit ea8b9df12e38775600e850b8a57add2cf523bde5
> Author: Eric S. Raymond <address@hidden>
> Date:   Thu Dec 11 22:44:32 2014 -0500
>
>     Remove VC rollback method.
>
>     * vc/vc.el, vc/vc-hg.el, vc/vc-git.el, vc/vc-hooks.el,
>     vc/vc-mtn.el, vc/vc-rcs.el, vc/vc-sccs.el, vc/vc-src.el: rrollback
>     method removed, to be replaced in the future by uncommit.
>
> which has an author date 10 days later than the removal of the initial
> revision argument.

Maybe, but then the commit which is to blame for Uwe's trouble, viz.:

  commit f83109f0fabe13c0175ca6fe23b475bd8a9d9d99
  Author: Eric S. Raymond <address@hidden>
  Date:   Thu Nov 20 02:37:06 2014 -0500

      Remove never-used rev argument from VC's backend checkin methods.

      Alters vc/vc-arch.el, vc/vc-bzr.el, vc/vc-cvs.el, vc/vc-dav.el,
      vc/vc-git.el, vc/vc-hg.el, vc/vc-mtn.el, vc/vc-rcs.el,
      vc/vc-sccs.el, vc/vc-svn.el, vc/vc.el.

      Only the RCS, SCCS, and CVS back ends tried to do anything with it,
      and that code was never exercised. Chiseling away the cruft of
      decades...

was never discussed at all, at least I couldn't find it.  And that is
what I partially resurrected.