Re: RCS: (vc-next-action 1) only New Backend

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: RCS: (vc-next-action 1) only New Backend
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2015 05:29:11 +0300

On 09/21/2015 05:18 AM, Stefan Monnier wrote:

Never heard of it used for CVS (and can't find mention of it in "cvs
commit --help").  As for SCCS, it can use that same
log-edit-extract-headers for that.

'man cvs' has this: "-r tag is available with the commit and history commands", which follows a paragraph devoted to "-r tag[:date]".

Overall, it doesn't seem to be that far from a common Git workflow element: check out a branch (maybe create it) and commit to it.

If we try hard enough, maybe we could fit both new and old backends into one VC workflow. Either split the operation likewise into two, for RCS and friends (that would be ideal, provided it's possible; and it'll also need a new command that allows creating a new tag/revision/branch), or also add the ability to "check out another branch and commit" to Git and newer backends.