Re: RCS: (vc-next-action 1) only New Backend

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: RCS: (vc-next-action 1) only New Backend
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2015 09:59:55 +0300

> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden
> From: Dmitry Gutov <address@hidden>
> Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2015 05:29:11 +0300
>
> On 09/21/2015 05:18 AM, Stefan Monnier wrote:
>
> > Never heard of it used for CVS (and can't find mention of it in "cvs
> > commit --help").  As for SCCS, it can use that same
> > log-edit-extract-headers for that.
>
> 'man cvs' has this: "-r tag is available with the commit and history
> commands", which follows a paragraph devoted to "-r tag[:date]".

No, that's the wrong command.  We are talking about "cvs commit".
The CVS manual has this text:

  commit options
  --------------

  [...]

  `-r REVISION'
       Commit to REVISION.  REVISION must be either a branch, or a
       revision on the main trunk that is higher than any existing
       revision number (*note Assigning revisions::).  You cannot commit
       to a specific revision on a branch.

> Overall, it doesn't seem to be that far from a common Git workflow
> element: check out a branch (maybe create it) and commit to it.
>
> If we try hard enough, maybe we could fit both new and old backends into
> one VC workflow. Either split the operation likewise into two, for RCS
> and friends (that would be ideal, provided it's possible; and it'll also
> need a new command that allows creating a new tag/revision/branch), or
> also add the ability to "check out another branch and commit" to Git and
> newer backends.

I think another possibility is to commit a tag with the specified
REVISION string immediately after committing the current changeset.