Re: RCS, again: another removed functionality: undo last-checkin

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: RCS, again: another removed functionality: undo last-checkin
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2015 19:58:34 +0300

On 09/21/2015 07:07 PM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

If the commit was already pushed, you will need "git revert" instead,
I think.

What does RCS do in this case?

There's no "push" in RCS.

Then I think the correspondence of RCS commands will be Git commands that act similarly on the local repository.

Then 'git reset --hard HEAD^' is a better match, because, like someone explained, the point of 'rcs rollback' is to remove the revision in question from history.

And if 'git reset' is unsafe, well, 'rcs rollback' doesn't sound particularly safe either.

Either way, we need a smart way to detect dangerous operations (e.g. see if affected commits are already published). The "amend" Git capability, which we already support, is unsafe too.