Re: RCS, again: another removed functionality: undo last-checkin

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: RCS, again: another removed functionality: undo last-checkin
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2015 22:33:42 +0300

On 09/21/2015 10:17 PM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

Yes, it does.  From the description of "cvs admin":
   `-oRANGE'
        Deletes ("outdates") the revisions given by RANGE.

(It then goes on to describe the syntax of RANGE, basically
REV1::REV2.)

Can it remove revisions from the tip, too? The description looks like it mostly applies to removing intermediate revisions in the middle of the history.

'git revert', by itself, doesn't affect the remote either.

Indeed, so what is the reason not to use it as "rollback"?

Like it's been said, 'rcs rollback' removes a revision from history (right?). 'git revert' doesn't.

That's an inconsistency that can be surprising for a user.

I use 'git reset' from time to time on the local history (and 'git revert' - considerably less often), so supporting the former would be also more useful for me personally.

I agree.  But the original issue was whether a "rollback" should
invoke "git reset --hard" or "git revert", or sometimes one or the
other.  The issue never was about adding a "push" to that.

You said: "if Git's rollback will affect the remote, when it should, it's OK, I think". That implies a 'git push' in my mind.

Otherwise, 'git reset' and 'git revert' are roughly equivalent in this regard. It's just that 'git push' will fail upon being called after the former, in certain circumstances.