Re: Need help debugging Emacs: emacsclient will not draw its contents so

From: Jon Dufresne
Subject: Re: Need help debugging Emacs: emacsclient will not draw its contents sometimes
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2015 17:51:45 -0700

On Mon, Sep 14, 2015 at 3:09 AM, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:
>> Once the issue arises, if I execute "emacsclient -c", "emacsclient -c
>> filename.txt", "emacsclient -t", or "emacsclient -t filename.txt" from
>> a new gnome-terminal the frame opens and display correctly as
>> expected. It appears that only the frames created by mercurial
>> commands regularly have the issue, and then only sometimes.
>
> I guess the question is now what does Mercurial do, exactly, to invoke
> emacsclient.  Can you look at the command line Mercurial passes to it,
> for example?  Perhaps also log the communications between emacsclient
> and the server on the Emacs side, and see what is passed there.
>
> The screenshot you posted seems like the frame was never created
> completely, so Emacs doesn't think it should be displaying any text
> yet.  I wonder why that happens.
>
>> If I execute the "emacsclient -c" from a separate terminal (as
>> mentioned above), then retry the mercurial command, the next frame
>> displays correctly as expected. It seems this sequence somehow gets
>> around the issue.
>
> We need to figure out what kind of "issue" this works around.

I'm at a loss on how to continue diagnosing this issue. I continue to
hit the problem, even with the newer Emacs. Luckily less frequently
than before and it is now easier to resume normal usage, but enough
that it interrupts my flow. Any thoughts on how to possibly gather
more useful information?

Thanks,
Jon