Re: [elpa] externals/xelb ad879fb: Backport cl-defgeneric to Emacs 24

From: Chris Feng
Subject: Re: [elpa] externals/xelb ad879fb: Backport cl-defgeneric to Emacs 24
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2015 09:08:36 +0800

I released xelb in GNU ELPA but was surprised by the outcomes:

* I added cl-generic 0.2 as a dependency of xelb to make it working on
Emacs 24. But this causes a problem on Emacs 25: the builtin
cl-generic of version 1.0 is not listed in
`package--builtin-versions', so package.el would wrongly install
cl-generic 0.2 from GNU ELPA. Perhaps `package--builtin-versions'
should include cl-generic, or this variable would be useless since it
seems it's is only used in package.el.

* Due to a bug of EIEIO in Emacs 24, I cannot define classes with more
than 101 slots. Would it be possible to fix it in the next release of
Emacs 24 (by simply setting a fallback length of the obarray in
`eieio-defclass')?

* And finally a minor issue: README.org was picked as the long
description of this package. I personally consider org-mode files as
well as reStructuredText or other markup files, when not properly
rendered, are not easily readable. In fact I made this file mainly for
the GitHub project page and thought GNU ELPA would pick the
'Commentary:' section. Of course I can rename it to something not
mentioned in archive-contents.el to work around this problem.

Chris