Re: Debugging emacs memory management

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Debugging emacs memory management
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2015 10:16:05 +0300

> From: Dima Kogan <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden
> Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2015 23:37:45 -0700
>
> Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:
>
> >> My machine ran out of memory, tried to swap, locked up, and forced me to
> >> reboot. When it came back, I no longer see the leak under THESE
> >> conditions.
> >
> > OK, but could you please show your font-related customizations anyway?
>
> No customizations. This is 'emacs -Q', and I never set up any particular
> font-related stuff anywhere. Where would the extra settings be?

The usual init files.  But if that happens in "emacs -Q", they are not
loaded.

If we want to continue digging into this problem, then next time it
happens I'd like to see GDB backtraces with values of arguments, in
the chain of calls that caused the leak.  At this time, I have no idea
why Emacs kept creating sub-char-tables in the fontset; it doesn't
here.