Re: [elpa] externals/xelb ad879fb: Backport cl-defgeneric to Emacs 24

From: Chris Feng
Subject: Re: [elpa] externals/xelb ad879fb: Backport cl-defgeneric to Emacs 24
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2015 21:56:19 +0800

>> * Due to a bug of EIEIO in Emacs 24, I cannot define classes with more
>> than 101 slots. Would it be possible to fix it in the next release of
>> Emacs 24 (by simply setting a fallback length of the obarray in
>> `eieio-defclass')?
>
> Not sure what you're referring to.

I meant in the following snippet (from eieio-defclass in eieio-core.el
of emacs-24 branch) `vl' would be nil if the class has more than 101
slots, and the subsequent `make-vector` would fail:

(let* ((cnt 0)
       (pubsyms (eieio--class-public-a newc))
       (prots (eieio--class-protection newc))
       (l (length pubsyms))
       (vl (let ((primes '( 3 5 7 11 13 17 19 23 29 31 37 41 43 47
                              53 59 61 67 71 73 79 83 89 97 101 )))
             (while (and primes (< (car primes) l))
               (setq primes (cdr primes)))
             (car primes)))
       (oa (make-vector vl 0))
       (newsym))

>> * And finally a minor issue: README.org was picked as the long
>> description of this package. I personally consider org-mode files as
>> well as reStructuredText or other markup files, when not properly
>> rendered, are not easily readable. In fact I made this file mainly for
>> the GitHub project page and thought GNU ELPA would pick the
>> 'Commentary:' section. Of course I can rename it to something not
>> mentioned in archive-contents.el to work around this problem.
>
> If you use README.md, it will be ignored (quoting
> elpa.git/admin/archive-contents.el:
>
>       (let ((rm (archive--get-section
>                  "Commentary" '("README" "README.rst"
>                                 ;; Most README.md files seem to be currently
>                                 ;; worse than the Commentary: section :-(
>                                 ;; "README.md"
>                                 "README.org")
>                  srcdir mainsrcfile)))

Yes, I mentioned this solution. But I guess the exclusion of README.md
is merely a temporary measure?