Re: [Emacs-diffs] master db828f6: Don't rely on defaults in decoding UTF

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] master db828f6: Don't rely on defaults in decoding UTF-8 encoded Lisp files
Date: Sun, 27 Sep 2015 07:29:20 +0200

Paul Eggert <address@hidden> writes:

> David Kastrup wrote:
>> The default is defined by the compiled language.  For C, it is
>> essentially 8-bit bytes where the meaning-carrying subset is ASCII.
>
> That was true for C99 and earlier, but it stopped being true in C11,
> where the source-file encoding does matter and where UTF-8 is the only
> sane default nowadays.

"stopped being true in C11" suggests that the world moved on.  Here is
the manual extract from the GCC delivered in the latest Ubuntu
distribution (the most commonly used GNU/Linux system):

     A fourth version of the C standard, known as "C11", was published
    in 2011 as ISO/IEC 9899:2011.  GCC has substantially complete
    support for this standard, enabled with '-std=c11' or
    '-std=iso9899:2011'.  (While in development, drafts of this standard
    version were referred to as "C1X".)

It is not even accepted without using extra options.  And we are not
talking anyway about the encoding Emacs is to choose for new files but
rather about the encoding for opening existing files.

How are you going to magically eradicate all pre-C11 files from Earth?
Wouldn't it be convenient to actually load them into an editor for doing
the conversion?

--
David Kastrup