Re: [Emacs-diffs] master db828f6: Don't rely on defaults in decoding UTF

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] master db828f6: Don't rely on defaults in decoding UTF-8 encoded Lisp files
Date: Sun, 27 Sep 2015 11:03:13 +0300

> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden
> From: Paul Eggert <address@hidden>
> Date: Sun, 27 Sep 2015 00:52:08 -0700
>
> Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > I don't see any language to that effect in the C11 Final Draft I have
> > here.  AFAICT, non-UTF-8 multibyte sequences are still supported by
> > C11.
>
> Of course; that part didn't change.  I was talking about C11's new UTF-8
> string
> literals, e.g., u8"Emacsの主要操作(早見表)".

That's indeed a new feature of C11, but it doesn't disallow using
arbitrary byte sequences in otherwise C11-compliant sources.

> Of course implementations can support legacy encodings, and some
> legacy C programs are written that way, but the only portable way to
> go in the future is Unicode.

Not sure what kind of "portability" did you have in mind here.  If
that's portability between locales, then our solution of having a
coding cookie is better for Emacs, because it supports more use cases
than just assuming UTF-8 would.