Re: [Emacs-diffs] master db828f6: Don't rely on defaults in decoding UTF

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] master db828f6: Don't rely on defaults in decoding UTF-8 encoded Lisp files
Date: Sun, 27 Sep 2015 10:37:16 +0200

Paul Eggert <address@hidden> writes:

> Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> If
>> that's portability between locales, then our solution of having a
>> coding cookie is better for Emacs, because it supports more use cases
>> than just assuming UTF-8 would.
>
> Sure, but the point is that we shouldn't need a cookie for UTF-8.

Is this the majestic "we" or are you talking about Emacs development in
particular?  If the latter, why not set a directory-wide variable for
the Emacs project (namely in the repository) for making the
Emacs-internal Elisp files default to utf-8?

That should cater for "us" without enforcing encodings in other people's
projects.

--
David Kastrup