Re: [Emacs-diffs] master db828f6: Don't rely on defaults in decoding UTF

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] master db828f6: Don't rely on defaults in decoding UTF-8 encoded Lisp files
Date: Sun, 27 Sep 2015 12:12:30 +0200

Andreas Schwab <address@hidden> writes:

> David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> I was _very_ _explicitly_ _not_ talking about the "latest release of
>> gcc" but rather the latest release of GCC in the most wide-spread
>> production GNU/Linux distribution.
>
> Many distributions already ship gcc5, some as default even.

That's nice but I was talking about the latest release of GCC in the
most wide-spread production GNU/Linux distribution.  That's kind of a
relevant counterexample to Paul's generalizations.  It's not an obscure
corner case.

Apart of which I am still waiting for an explanation of just why Emacs
should stop supporting non-UTF-8 C source files _because_ the C11
standard now provides the means to place UTF-8 strings in executables
when using non-UTF-8 source files (previously, you needed to have an
UTF-8 encoded source file to do that).

Emacs should support non-UTF-8 source files worse because C11 makes it
more convenient to use them?

It's worse enough that we are arguing straw men all the time, but these
straw men are upside down.

--
David Kastrup