Re: [Emacs-diffs] master db828f6: Don't rely on defaults in decoding UTF

From: Chad Brown
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] master db828f6: Don't rely on defaults in decoding UTF-8 encoded Lisp files
Date: Sun, 27 Sep 2015 09:03:54 -0700

> On 27 Sep 2015, at 00:34, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> From: Chad Brown <address@hidden>
>> Date: Sat, 26 Sep 2015 13:26:52 -0700
>>
>> The default for GCC is UTF-8.
>
> GCC doesn't write C sources, so its default are not very relevant,
> even if you are right in the above assessment (and I don't think you
> are).

I took the information from the GCC 4.7 documentation:

  -finput-charset=charset
  Set the input character set, used for translation from the character
  set of the input file to the source character set used by GCC. If
  the locale does not specify, or GCC cannot get this information
  from the locale, the default is UTF-8. This can be overridden by
  either the locale or this command line option. Currently the command
  line option takes precedence if there's a conflict. charset can be
  any encoding supported by the system's iconv library routine.

I saw almost identical text in the 4.2.4 documentation, and didn’t go
back further.

~Chad