Re: RCS, again: another removed functionality: undo last-checkin

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: RCS, again: another removed functionality: undo last-checkin
Date: Thu, 1 Oct 2015 23:22:40 +0300

On 10/01/2015 11:12 PM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

It's not hard, it's harder. Again, if `vc-commit' is going to be the
preferred command, it should use the better binding.

The difference is too small to justify breaking old habits, IMO.

I would rather work on something else than end up with a suboptimal solution. But we don't need to introduce it in Emacs 25, I was going to delay this until after the next release anyway.

No, I would prefer that you'd be more willing to compromise at times.

At times, I am, but not in this instance. And Stefan also stated the preference for vc-next-action to go away.

I described up-thread what I had in mind in more detail: a CVS-like
workflow.

Please link to that message.

But if we were to do that, what's the need for vc-commit?

If by "locking VCS" you mean RCS, then I use it from time to time.

Could you answer that question, then?

I thought I already did: I always use RCS for files I maintain myself,
so other users are not involved, and locking is a no-op.

So, would you say that support for locking is not important anymore? Or should we ask someone else?

If you'd like the support for locking to stay (and not only as a part of an obsolete vc-next-action without binding), could you poll some other users with the same question?