Re: Should we just start dumping cl-lib?

From: Daniel Colascione
Subject: Re: Should we just start dumping cl-lib?
Date: Fri, 2 Oct 2015 17:19:45 -0700

On 10/02/2015 09:07 AM, John Wiegley wrote:

>> Please always accompany such suggestions with rationale. Adding to the core
>> just because "why not?" is IMO not a good methodology. Some people still
>> care about the memory footprint of programs, so we don't want to bloat that
>> unless there are good reasons. Such reasons can only be discussed on a case
>> by case basis.
>
> Although personally I wouldn't mind seeing cl-lib in core, for the benefit of
> Emacs I have to agree with Eli. It's not something we should do just because
> it sounds like a good idea, but because not doing it would cost us something.
> Shaving a few milliseconds from startup is not enough of a gain to be worth
> bloating core.

What's the cost of increasing the size of the dumped image? We don't
take COW faults on most of the pages, so we can discard them at will.
Because the OS can discard clean pages without writing them to the
pagefile and reconstitute them at will, transferring code from Emacs
private allocations to the dumped Emacs image _decreases_ memory
footprint. That we also shave a few milliseconds off startup is another
benefit.

If not cl-lib, then what? What is the actual bar?