Re: Dynamic loading progress

From: Daniel Colascione
Subject: Re: Dynamic loading progress
Date: Sun, 4 Oct 2015 12:34:15 -0700

On 10/04/2015 02:41 AM, Philipp Stephani wrote:
>     >
>     >
>     >       typedef struct emacs_value_tag* emacs_value;
>     >
>     >
>     > I think it's important that this is a pointer to a struct (for type
>     > safety and size correctness) rather than just an arbitrary type.
>
>     A typedef is exactly as typesafe. The question of whether to use a
>     struct or a typedef is aesthetic. I strongly prefer a typedef, just like
>     pthreads, and I believe that the people who advocate using structs
>     directly are simply wrong.
>

> Ah, I'm not against the typedef, I'm just asking whether you would make
> it part of the API contract that it's a typedef of a struct pointer, or
> whether it can be any type.

The problem with defining it as a pointer type is that NULL is now the
invalid sentinel value, which seems incompatible with both making this
thing literally a Lisp_Object and Qnil having all zero bits.

That's why I strongly prefer making emacs_value a _pointer_ to a
Lisp_Object, where we store the Lisp_Object in an array owned by the
emacs_env. This way, allocating local values is very cheap.

>     >     Modules can use make_global_reference to allocate a global
>     reference
>     >     (i.e., a GC root) for any emacs_value; modules must then free
>     these
>     >     references explicitly.
>     >
>     >     All routines (except make_global_reference) that return
>     emacs_value
>     >     values return local references.  It's up to modules to register
>     >     long-lived references explicitly.
>     >
>     >
>     > In which cases would global references be necessary?
>
>     Any time you want to hold onto a lisp value outside the dynamic extent
>     of your emacs_env.
>

> Isn't the dynamic extent of the emacs_env the whole program, starting
> from the module initializer?

Not necessarily. An emacs_env is valid only for the current call into
module code on the current thread. So if we call module-function-1, wait
for it to return, then call module-function-2, the two calls can have
different environments, and using local references from one might not be
valid on the other. (This approach opens up very important optimizations
in JNI, and it'd be good for us to use the same approach.) A global
reference is just an emacs_env in a heap-allocated object we register as
a GC root.

(To answer the question another way: global references are GC roots.)