Re: New maintainer

From: Artur Malabarba
Subject: Re: New maintainer
Date: Wed, 7 Oct 2015 19:42:33 +0100

I'm not going to dive into GCC/Clang discussion, but I think I can
answer your questions.

> 1 - the GCCvsClang issue touches features of Emacs itself (impacting 100% of
> Emacsers) or just people using GCC/Clang for dev?

IIUC, People using GCC/Clang.

> 2 - If the latter: If we where to move CC-mode from the emacs core to Elpa
> would that cut the debate from the core Emacs point of view?

No. GNU Elpa is part of Emacs in pretty much every sense. It's not
(currently) bundled in the tarball, but other than that it _is_ Emacs
(and is bound by all the same rules).

> we have an amazing module/package system now right? And probably the C devs
> are no longer the majority ?

I have no numbers, but my guess is that no single language holds the
majority of the Emacs user base. Emacs has a pretty wide spread from
what I can tell.

But, given my answer above, this is besides the point. :-)

> 3 - On more abstract level: If we where, hypothetically, to slim down the
> Core Emacs as much as possible and rely heavily on the packaging system
> itself: what contention points between Freedom and Technical Evolution would
> remain on the core itself?

Don't know, but it's besides the point again. Any contention points
moved to Elpa would still be contention points.