Re: RCS, again: another removed functionality: undo last-checkin

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: RCS, again: another removed functionality: undo last-checkin
Date: Fri, 02 Oct 2015 11:44:55 -0400

> We are talking about what vc-next-action _should_ do.  I'm saying that
> it would make sense for it to always check whether update is needed,
> or maybe even actually do it.

As soon as vc-commit is available and bound to a key like C-x v c, we
can consider making vc-next-action more dwimish and willing to try
new ideas.

But as it currently stands, we can't do what you suggest because it
would make it impossible to commit (with VC) without pulling first,
which many people will object to.

        Stefan

PS: And of course, in Git, "git pull" will often refuse to work if you have
uncommitted changes to files ("often" as in: whenever a file is modified
both locally and by the pulled changes), so "pull before commit" would
not be straightforward at least in Git.