Re: New maintainer

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: New maintainer
Date: Sat, 03 Oct 2015 22:25:46 +0300

> From: John Wiegley <address@hidden>
> Date: Sat, 03 Oct 2015 12:12:42 -0700

> > It's the only way to break a tie if there is vehement difference of opinion.
> > I didn't say it was the only way to make decisions.
>
> There's another reason not to use a Cabal-of-3, though, Eli: it would mean
> always waiting until you could consult with the other 2 before making
> pronouncements about direction on the mailing list. Otherwise, you risk the
> possibility of deciding something that the other two don't agree with. This
> would add unnecessary inertia to the process, in my opinion.

What's the rush?  This isn't some military operation we are planning,
where any delay might cause a catastrophe.

Besides, I see no reason to believe that any of the maintainers would
become incommunicado for long periods without an advance warning.
Being available on short notice should be part of the job description.

> I say this having participated in group-driven scenarios before. It does slow
> things down, since you have to communicate first with the group (either on or
> off list), and then with the community. And there's the matter of presenting a
> united front, being clear on what is personal opinion and what is the opinion
> of the group, etc.

The good feeling of being part of the team and having your opinions
heard and seriously considered, rather than dismissed, might be worth
the delay.