Re: Failure to bootstrap on Windows

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Failure to bootstrap on Windows
Date: Sun, 04 Oct 2015 09:36:21 +0300

> From: Juanma Barranquero <address@hidden>
> Date: Sat, 3 Oct 2015 23:17:44 +0200
> Cc: Emacs developers <address@hidden>
>
> > The question is why. My first suspect is the file lisp.mk. It should
> > define the value of the Make variable shortlisp to hold a long list of
> > preloaded Lisp files -- these are the ones that should have been
> > compiled at that step. I'm guessing that file is empty on your
> > system, or maybe garbled.
>
> And you're right:
>
> $ cat lisp.mk
> shortlisp = \
>
> > If you decide to remove lisp.mk and regenerate it, please use
> > "make V=1", so you could see if the command issued by Make has
> > anything weird in it.
>
> $ rm lisp.mk
>
> $ make V=1 lisp.mk
> GEN lisp.mk
> sed: -e expression #1, char 11: unterminated `s' command
> make: 'lisp.mk' is up to date.
>
> It complains at the \\ in
>
> sed -e 's/$$/.elc \\/'

Is your Sed an MSYS program or a MinGW program?  The one MSYS Bash
finds should be an MSYS program.

> ELC ../lisp/abbrev.elc
> /usr/bin/sh: ../src/bootstrap-emacs.exe THEFILE=../lisp/abbrev.el: No such
> file or directory
> Makefile:269: recipe for target '../lisp/abbrev.elc' failed

Please say "make V=1" again and show the full command that hides
behind "ELC".  I don't remember ever seeing such problems.  What does

  type make

say if invoked from the MSYS Bash prompt where you are running the
build?