Re: New maintainer

From: Artur Malabarba
Subject: Re: New maintainer
Date: Mon, 5 Oct 2015 23:12:47 +0100

>> and the quality of Emacs resources, coordinating volunteers, ensuring
>> proper
>> legal forms are maintained, liaising with the FSF, and assisting other
>> maintainers so they don't burnout and receive the help they need.
>

> We really don't have enough volunteers. So an ideal maintainer, IMHO, would
> find ways to energize more people to volunteer, maybe by making the
> contribution process easier somehow (one could mention a better bug tracker,
> code review process, CI, documentation, etc; in short, a lot of things could
> be better, and all of them require work, in the end, rather than simply
> discussions and decisions), making the development process more transparent
> to the community, or, you know, handling a lot of the grunt work themselves.
> Maybe all of the options together.

Also just invite more devs with Melpa packages to contribute their
packages to GNU Elpa.
This gives them a good motivation to take care of all the paperwork
and get sorted with a savannah account, at which point they have a
decent chance of starting to contribute more packages or helping out
with emacs.git directly.

I suspect there are many package authors out there who are potential
regular/semi-regular contributors, but they're unlikely to just come
and ask for permission for a number of reasons.
That was my entry-drug (thanks Stefan) and I'm sure it would work on a
few others.