Re: New maintainer

From: Karl Fogel
Subject: Re: New maintainer
Date: Tue, 06 Oct 2015 16:53:40 -0500

"John Wiegley" <address@hidden> writes:
>I interpret him as meaning that the support should not favor non-GCC compilers
>in any way, not that GCC should determine the least upper bound on
>functionality.

Just to confirm what others have pointed out:

Given the context and past discussions, I think you would better assume that
Richard meant "If GCC doesn't *actually* support the feature, then Emacs
shouldn't add support for that feature just because Clang does."  I think at
the very least the criterion would be that an actual patch to GCC must exist,
even if no release of GCC includes it yet.

That's just a guess though.  It's an open question whether the requirement
would be that the FSF version (i.e., what we would call the "official" version)
of GCC must support the feature, or whether it would be sufficient for the
feature to be supported in a publicly available patch to GCC.  I hope the
latter, since that's exactly the point at which Emacs's corresponding support
would no longer be merely "theoretical" with respect to GCC.

> Isn't crippling the output of GCC, to prevent use by proprietary
> vendors, a direct example of limiting *our* freedom, as users who want
> access to that information to improve our use of Emacs (or other
> tools)? Making such information available does not make GCC or Emacs
> in any way more proprietary or freedom-destroying. If anything, it is
> liberating the information known to these applications, so that it can
> be more widely applied.

What one group chooses to do to their copy of a free software program can
*never* interfere with others' freedom w.r.t. that program, because those
others are always free to do whatever they want with their own copy.  If the
FSF chooses not to add a feature to GCC, that doesn't interfere with your
freedom.  It may interfere with your convenience, but respecting people's
freedom does not require supplying them exactly the thing they want, it merely
requires not interfering with their ability to procure what they want by
whatever means are available to them.

The FSF can't "cripple" GCC.  It can only cripple *its version* of GCC.  You
and anyone else are free to make a non-crippled version of GCC, and that's what
freedom means :-).

Best,
-Karl