Re: Should we just start dumping cl-lib?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Should we just start dumping cl-lib?
Date: Fri, 02 Oct 2015 17:38:23 +0300

> Date: Fri, 2 Oct 2015 10:22:40 -0400
> From: Mark Oteiza <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden
>
> On 02/10/15 at 05:18pm, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > > Date: Fri, 2 Oct 2015 10:14:52 -0400
> > > From: Mark Oteiza <address@hidden>
> > > Cc: address@hidden
> > >
> > > Regarding the breakage with winner.el, I don't understand why under some
> > > circumstances nothing seems to break if cl- functions are used at
> > > runtime in things with only `(eval-when-compile (require 'cl-lib))`. For
> > > instance, git-grepping for 'cl-remove-if' I see package.el and
> > > checkdoc.el don't require cl-lib at runtime.
> >
> > Are the cl-lib functions they use auto-loaded, perhaps?
>
> Yes. However, it was an issue in winner.el--why not in these libraries?

The issue in winner.el, AFAIU, was under very specific circumstances.
Perhaps under those circumstances, those other packages will also have
some problem.

I'd suggest to dig into the problem with winner and understand why it
happens in that specific situation.  E.g., perhaps load-path is not
yet set when the custom file is loaded?