Re: New maintainer

From: Mathieu Lirzin
Subject: Re: New maintainer
Date: Sat, 03 Oct 2015 13:50:07 +0200

> The GNU Emacs maintainer's responsibility is to take charge of Emacs
> on behalf of the GNU Project, and produce the best possible GNU Emacs
> -- which means, the one that advances our aim the most.
                                        ^^^
> Mostly, making Emacs better is a matter of practical improvements, but
> there are some exceptions.  The maintainer's responsibility includes
> some tasks to support the GPL, both practically and politically.  It
> includes getting copyright papers from contributors so we can enforce
                                                         ^^
> the GPL.  It includes making sure dynamic loading resists GPL
> violation.  It includes putting some GNU Project political statements
> into Emacs.  It includes making sure nothing in Emacs disagrees with
> them.  An Emacs maintainer has to be willing to undertake this part of
> the responsibility as well as the politically neutral bulk of the
> responsibility.
>
> The maintainer's job does not include personal political statements.
> Maintainers don't have to say they agree with the GNU Project's
> political positions, they just have to implement them wholeheartedly.
>
> However, a maintainer shouldn't publicly oppose our positions.
                                                  ^^^

My overall feeling of your description of the Emacs maintainer's role is
that it consists of practical improvements with political obligations,
and no vocal disagreement with “us”.  This gives me the impression that
you consider GNU package maintainers as separate from the GNU project
itself.  But who is that “We” if it doesn't include the maintainers?

--
Mathieu Lirzin