Re: Dynamic loading progress

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: Dynamic loading progress
Date: Sun, 4 Oct 2015 12:20:46 -0700

Philipp Stephani wrote:
Why make the behavior vary depending on what intmax_t is? At least
>int64_t is nice and explicit.

True. The time when Emacs integers will be larger than 64 bits is probably
far in the future.

No, I've already been toying with integers wider than 64 bits in my own private copy of emacs. It's not ready for publication yet, but you should be assuming that bignums are possible and even desirable, and foreign-function APIs should not preclude their use.

Also, the C standard does not require support for int64_t. It's OK to use int64_t in platform-specific code where you know the platform has int64_t, but otherwise it's better to avoid it. The Emacs source code largely avoids int64_t now, and there's no good reason to require it here.