Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 5c9304e: Disable some display optimizations whe

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 5c9304e: Disable some display optimizations when frames need redisplay
Date: Tue, 06 Oct 2015 12:15:35 -0400

>> I think for fset_frame either way would work about as well: it should be
>> relatively rarely used anyway.  OTOH for bset_redisplay, I expect that the
>> cost of finding all the buffer's windows would be clearly too costly.
> Nothing should prevent us from replacing window_count with a list of the
> windows showing the buffer.

Sure, but I suspect calls to bset_redisplay can be much more numerous,
so I think it's much cheaper to have redisplay check b->text->redisplay
once per redisplay, than to have bset_redisplay loop through the
corresponding windows every time (even if this looping can indeed be
made more efficient if needed).

In any case, these choices don't seem particularly important, and
changing them wouldn't make much difference to the code.  So feel free
to try alternatives if you want, but personally, I think it'd be a waste
of time since the current solution is very cheap.

        Stefan