Re: burden of maintainance

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: burden of maintainance
Date: Thu, 01 Oct 2015 23:27:28 +0300

> Date: Thu, 01 Oct 2015 22:18:16 +0200
> From: Andreas Röhler <address@hidden>
> CC: Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>
>
> It would suffice to put intelligent test-writing into the focus - where
> it's not yet or not yet to extend it deserves.

This is a volunteer effort.  Nothing gets done by putting some issues
into the focus: you cannot tell anyone to do something because it's in
focus.  The only way things get moved in Emacs is when volunteers step
forward and take tasks upon themselves.

So the issue at hand is how to attract contributors to writing tests.
It's not a decision-making problem, it's a leadership and
team-management problem.

> >    Also, I don't
> > quite see who will write tests for large portions of the C code, given
> > how few people are even prepared to work on that.
>
> Estimating one hour invested in writing the right tests might save
> ten-fold or more of development time afterwards.

I agree.  But it's not enough to agree, there's a need to actually do
it.

> Not a special one at the moment. Just got the feeling the collection of
> used symbols were growing and growing last years.

My take of this is that many people here disagree with you about this
being a bad thing.