Re: New maintainer

From: Jens K. Loewe
Subject: Re: New maintainer
Date: Sun, 04 Oct 2015 04:33:54 +0200

Ah, finally an interesting discussion here.

> The whole point of GNU is the non-acceptance of software denying
> the users the fundamental software freedoms.

So GNU does not stand *for* something but *against* something? GNU's
whole point is not to be better than others but to point out that others
are worse? That reminds me of a kindergarten.

Furthermore, shouldn't it be the right of a free user to use a non-free
system at his own will? I don't use GNU for the sole reason that I get
my things done fast on other platforms, but I solve a lot of problems
with FLOSS software even on closed platforms. Am I a bad guy now?

I actually considered suggesting myself as a maintainer just to
contribute at least something to Emacs. I never wrote
"upstream" code for Emacs but I do that team development thing for
money. I guess as a Windows and BSD user I'm out of the game though - I
disagree with some of the points the GPL makes and I'll always prefer
the BSD infrastructure to GNU; but I really like working with
Emacs. However, it seems that the Emacs product is less important than
the Emacs "philosophy" here. No wonders that you can't find a
volunteer for ethical management on a technical mailing list.

Sigh.

JKL

--
I could contain traces of nuts.