Re: IDE

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: IDE
Date: Sat, 10 Oct 2015 11:30:47 +0300

> Cc: address@hidden
> From: Dmitry Gutov <address@hidden>
> Date: Sat, 10 Oct 2015 11:15:38 +0300
>
> On 10/10/2015 10:56 AM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>
> > Right now, no one is working on that, though everyone is talking.  the
> > same as with weather.
>
> No one?

No one.

> There are quite a few packages that interface with external programs or
> daemons to provide code completion already. Such as Tern for JavaScript,
> Racer for Rust, Compliment for Clojure, gocode for Go, Eclim or Malabar
> for Java, ENSIME for Scala (there has been some movement lately in
> adding Java support, too), Distel for Erlang, Jedi for Python, ocp-index
> for OCaml, ESS for R, maybe some others.

I was talking about working on IDE, not on completion.  And for the
most popular languages in the industry, not just for some a few niche
languages.

> For C/C++, the community has Irony and Rtags, both based on libclang. If
> libclang is unacceptable for you, you probably know a more appropriate
> mailing list to bring that up at.

Let's not reiterate past discussions: you forget CEDET.

And if anyone _really_ cares about supporting C/C++, they should be
working with and on GCC's libcc1, which is available for quite some
time already.

Instead, all we have is heated discussions and hurt feelings.  That
will never get us anywhere.

> Would you expect the programs mentioned above to become a part of Emacs?

I expect to see a coherent, orchestrated effort towards having an IDE
mode in Emacs.  I don't see it, certainly not in discussions on this
list.  I also don't see any commits that would provide evidence of
such an effort.

If such activities happen somewhere else, I would suggest their
participants to come here and work with and within the core.  For
starters, I don't imagine they would succeed without some significant
changes and additions in the core infrastructure.  The place to
discuss that is here.

> For most of them, it's technically unfeasible (not to mention
> organizationally), e.g. because they target several different editors
> (or aim to, in the future).

Then what exactly is the nature of your objections to my observations?
It seems we agree on the bottom line: no one works on this.  The
reasons are immaterial.