Re: IDE

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: IDE
Date: Sat, 10 Oct 2015 13:20:48 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> From: David Kastrup <address@hidden>
>> Cc: address@hidden,  address@hidden
>> Date: Sat, 10 Oct 2015 12:47:44 +0200
>>
>> > I hope it is.  All I have is my personal example;
>>
>> Your personal example was not about a policy and decision outside of
>> your influence
>
> You don't know all the details.
>
> I also don't see how the exact cause for rejection of existing work
> can matter here.
>
>> ruling your work unwelcome.
>
> Ah, so we are again talking about hurt feelings?

I had no work invested in that area, so trying to turn this into an ad
hominem attack is a bit pointless.  Anyway, as long as we rely on most
software being written by humans, "hurt feelings" is not a category we
can consider entirely irrelevant.  Even though in this case it is
entirely a straw man you are trying to create from my choice of words.

>> Your example was about overcoming technical difficulties and surpassing
>> a threshold of code/performance quality.
>
> Policy decisions can be easily translated into "technical
> difficulties", by writing more code.

Shrug.  One can rewrite GCC in Elisp in order to avoid the interdict
against generic interfaces and data exchange.  Sure.  But that's the
kind of obstacle one expects proprietary software to pose, not free
software entirely under copyright and control of the FSF.

Rewriting something from scratch for the sake of escaping the shackles
of proprietary software is a motivation we can expect some contributors
to Emacs and GCC to have.  Rewriting something from scratch for the sake
of escaping the shackles of applied FSF policies isn't.  That's just not
the typical target clientele of GCC and Emacs and it shouldn't need to
be.

--
David Kastrup