Re: IDE

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: IDE
Date: Sat, 10 Oct 2015 13:02:12 +0300

> From: David Engster <address@hidden>
> Cc: Dmitry Gutov <address@hidden>,  address@hidden,  address@hidden
> Date: Sat, 10 Oct 2015 11:51:14 +0200
>
> Eli Zaretskii writes:
> > And if anyone _really_ cares about supporting C/C++, they should be
> > working with and on GCC's libcc1,
>
> Getting the AST is not a technical problem; libcc1 does not change
> anything.

We don't even know whether libcc1 provides any features useful for an
IDE, including information that could be used fro completion.

We also don't know what is the final verdict on having GCC emit tree
information.

I'd expect a person who is motivated to work on these features, if we
have such a person among us, to be on top of those two issues, as well
as many others.

But I agree: it's not a technical problem.  It's a problem of being
motivated enough to overcome such obstacles.