Re: ELPA contributions?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: ELPA contributions?
Date: Sat, 10 Oct 2015 09:00:47 +0200

Artur Malabarba <address@hidden> writes:

> The takeaway message is: Yes the readme could use some improvements.
>
> On 9 Oct 2015 9:32 am, "David Kastrup" <address@hidden> wrote:
>> I've taken a look at elpa.gnu.org and the README referenced in there,
>> and at lists.gnu.org.  There does not appear to be a discussion list for
>> ELPA,
>
> There isn't. Elpa stuff is discussed on the emacs lists. But the Readme
> should certainly say that.
>
>> and the README just contains the technical details of uploading
>> material to ELPA (it's not really clear when to choose an external
>> branch).
>
> Yes, that needs to be clarified too. The idea is to just use a subtree,
> unless you _know_ you want an external branch for some reason.
>
>> There are no obvious submission addresses or anything like
>> that.
>
> Yes, that should just be Emacs-devel as well.

That does not really appear to match the realities.  There are a host of
commits in ELPA coming from known Emacs developers (well, push
access...) for projects I never heard of on the developer list.  And
since ELPA contributions (if I understood correctly) require an Emacs
copyright assignment anyway and that is coupled with commit access
fairly often, there really is a strong appearance of "just write to ELPA
if you think you know what you are doing".

And if I don't hear anything about the prospected file/project I posted
here, that's likely what I'll end up doing.

Still feels a bit unsual, though.

--
David Kastrup