Re: IDE

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: IDE
Date: Sat, 10 Oct 2015 12:23:11 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> From: David Kastrup <address@hidden>
>> Cc: Tom <address@hidden>,  address@hidden
>> Date: Sat, 10 Oct 2015 11:00:46 +0200
>>
>> attempts of letting GCC similarly output AST data were rejected as
>> making it too easy to support non-free applications (obviously, if
>> Emacs can use GCC for purposes of syntax analysis from the command
>> line, so can anybody else).
>
> That's not how that discussion ended.  It ended by Richard saying he
> wanted to study the issue in more depth, before making his decision.

It's been more than half a year.  The time frames in which people
involve themselves in personal projects are smaller than that.  So the
issue becomes a theoretic one and does no longer warrant taking risks or
making difficult decisions.

Rinse and repeat.

That's why I think we need a general course change regarding
interoperability without an immediate tangible purpose.  Because
otherwise we kill incubation.  The most important tool of the programmer
is the garbage bin.  If we take that away, if we demand a proof of
success before opening any possibility, we are taking one of the most
important assets of freedom: the possibility that someone may use that
freedom for purposes beyond our imagination.  Yes, that may cut both
ways.  But we do have the GPLv3 and we should trust it to keep the
damage in check because the alternative is limiting what we can do with
free software for advancing free software.

>> So people's hands are bound until a complete plan has been worked out
>> and/or blessed by Richard
>
> No one's hands are bound.  Whoever is motivated enough will find a way
> to bypass the restrictions and limitations.

That's not particularly inspiring.

--
David Kastrup