Re: IDE

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: IDE
Date: Sat, 10 Oct 2015 20:46:13 +0200

"John Wiegley" <address@hidden> writes:

> Right now we have a pretty nice infrastructure for things like
> indenting code.  That is, there are standard keybindings (TAB, C-M-\),
> a standard per-buffer override variable (indent-line-function), a
> standard command (indent-according-to-mode), and ways for packages
> like Yasnippet to override the meaning of TAB without ruining
> functionality.

Emacs sucks at multiple-language buffers out of the box.  They are
inherent for any form of literate programming, they are rather prevalent
for embedding languages in HTML, they are useful for things like Texinfo
with embedded examples, I'd need them for LilyPond (which integrates
Scheme code).  Many IDEs are single-language to start with, and if they
aren't, they are either generic or single-language per file.

There is mmm-mode but it's not part of ELPA (and probably not
copyright-assignable, at least that's my guess of why it might be out).
And I strongly suspect that some stronger core features inside of Emacs
would be desirable, like keeping indentation and font-locking engines
and syntax constrained to regions identified with overlays or text
properties.

--
David Kastrup