Re: IDE

From: David Engster
Subject: Re: IDE
Date: Sun, 11 Oct 2015 14:37:47 +0200

Dmitry Gutov writes:
> On 10/11/2015 03:16 PM, David Engster wrote:
>
>>> I tried (setq semantic-complete-inline-analyzer-displayor-class
>>> 'semantic-displayor-tooltip), with no apparent result.
>>
>> Make sure you call semantic-complete-analyze-inline to display
>> completions.
>
> Tried that. No dice.

Works for me from 'emacs -Q' (emacs 24.5, lucid toolkit):

- M-x semantic-mode
- eval '(setq semantic-complete-inline-analyzer-displayor-class
'semantic-displayor-tooltip)'
- Load empty file 'test.c' and insert

void foo();
void foo2();

int main()
{
  fo
}

- Put cursor behind 'fo' and do M-x semantic-complete-analyze-inline.

>> Personally, I don't use the tooltip displayor. I don't know if this
>> is a
>> general problem or one with the implementation in CEDET, but I find
>> them
>> too slow, and they don't play well with keyboard navigation.
>
> I thought tooltips don't affect the keyboard input?

I mean I cannot choose completions with the keyboard with up/down. But
this is a problem with how it is done in CEDET, which was never my cup
of tea, but I also didn't work on it because as I said, I found it to be
too slow to display in the first place (that was years ago though, and I
guess it also depends on the toolkit, plus I often times worked over a
remote X connection).

-David