Re: Emacs rewrite in a maintainable language

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Emacs rewrite in a maintainable language
Date: Sun, 11 Oct 2015 22:14:15 +0300

> From: Óscar Fuentes <address@hidden>
> Date: Sun, 11 Oct 2015 20:32:59 +0200
>
> Replacing C with a language that helps people to write readable, safe,
> efficient and maintainable code without having to study the existing
> code base for months looks quite appealing to me. That replacement could
> be gradual (no "stopping the world while The Big Rewrite is underway.")
> If that language is not so popular as C, that's no big problem as long
> as it makes things less daunting for those willing to work on the Emacs
> core. As already said, there is no dramatic shortage of people who learn
> Elisp just for hacking Emacs.

It's all a pipe dream, no more, unless someone steps forward who
really intends and is able to do the job.  And that is even before we
start talking about which alternative language should that be,
something that in itself is not a trivial decision.

Also, please note that, due to a strange coincidence (or maybe
something else), doing so will require the same talents you rightfully
say are at premium.  What does that tell us about the probability of
finding such individuals?